When I Become a Millionaire

Saturday, June 16, 2012


I couldn't wait to play with the fondant this morning! The finished product is far from perfect. Fondant experts would say it appears that a 3 year old did it. BUT. I've never done it before, and I have to say it turned out better than I expected.


Just glance at it. Don't look super closely. Ignore the hexigonish shaped circle. Pretend the fondant balls are all uniform size and the stripes aren't crooked. And if you ever make a cake with fondant be sure to save some icing for the lettering. I forgot and had to improvise. I rolled tiny little snakes of fondant and formed them into letters.

I call this cake "primitive". The circles and stripes are also "primitive". In other words, I didn't have any fancy fondant shape cutter things, but just winged it by hand. I don't know why it ended up looking like a circus cake. Maybe I should call it a "primitive circus cake" instead.

Why is it that no one ever stops by until the one day my clothes don't match, my hair isn't combed, I'm not wearing makeup, and my kitchen looks like a powdered sugar bomb went off?? That's the only time I get visitors. The second I started rolling fondant I get a knock at the door. As soon as I go back to the fondant the phone rings. I didn't answer it. If it was you calling, sorry. I'll call you back later.




After attempting to clean the chicken coop this afternoon, I gave up and made zucchini jam instead. Yes, you read that right. I made a batch of strawberry and a batch of apricot. I didn't bother to remove the seeds or pulp because, well, I'm lazy. I'm still waiting for it to set.

Lessons I learned today:

1. Chicken poop STINKS. I apologize to my neighbors for stirring up the stench this afternoon.
2. You should never clean a chicken coop while wearing flip flops. Or so I hear. Who would be dumb enough to do that, anyway? (I gotta give my neighbors their daily dose of something to talk about).
3. My husband has THE most patient wife in the whole world. He is extremely lucky to have me. Women like me are rare. He doesn't appreciate me. He really should.
4. Three whole days in the kitchen, in a row, is my limit. I've enjoyed it but I'm extremely worn out.
5. Homemade zucchini relish in tuna salad is AMAZING. I cannot stop eating it.
6. You should never look out the window to see what the dogs are barking at while simultaneously grating a tiny piece of zucchini with a brand new mandolin. This is not the first time I've learned that lesson.

At this point in the day I'd love nothing more than to sit on the couch and vegetate. Instead, I need to go clean the bathroom, get the ducks in, sweep and mop, start laundry, and do the rest of the dishes so I can cook dinner for father's day tomorrow. Another day in the kitchen, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment