When I Become a Millionaire

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Zombie Zucchinis and Terrorist Rabbits

Despite the drought, we already have zucchinis coming out our ears. It has rained like twice 
in the last couple of months, but nonetheless we seem to have grown zombie zucchinis again 
this year. Nothing stops them. Therefore, I feel compelled to use them. ALL of them. I can't waste them, you know? I decided to make zucchini relish. Never mind that no one will eat it except me. At least I can say I USED them. It's like a sick, impossible challenge that I know I'll never win, but nevertheless have to try. Grating them is sort of like going to the gym for free. You build killer biceps. Except my biceps are still flabby. But never mind that. 


As if that wasn't enough for one day, I also decided it was a great time to tackle cake decorating. I've never made fondant before. So what? Allrecipes.com says it's easy! Just melt some marshmallows, add some powdered sugar, then knead for what seems like 8 hours. Simple! It's chilling overnight in the refrigerator, taunting me, reminding me that I'm not Martha Stewart.



 On a side note, Frank brought rabbits home from Rural King yesterday. He came into the kitchen and said, "You might wanna grab the camera and come outside." Uh oh. That phrase is common around here, and usually results in some kind of new animal. Yep. Sure enough, I went outside to discover 3 bunnies hopping around my yard. I gave Frank a look. He responded by saying, "They make fertilizer for the garden." Duh. I asked him where he planned to keep them and got met with a vacant look and a scratching of the head. He thought for a minute, then decided they'd be fine with the ducks. "Shouldn't you try it out before you just throw them all in there together?" I asked him. "They'll be fine. It's not like the ducks can hurt them." he said. I went in to check on dinner. About ten minutes later he came in to let me know that the DUCKS are scared of the RABBITS. I went out to see for myself, and sure enough, the ducks were having heart attacks! Those cute little bunnies were hopping around and terrorizing the poor ducks. Never mind that the ducks are 3 times their size. They flapped their wings and scrambled away, hissing all the while.


We went inside to eat dinner. I fixed ham with garden green beans and potatoes in the crock pot, homemade cornbread, zucchini casserole, and a garden salad, with blackberry cobbler for dessert. Ok, so if I'm being totally honest, we all nibbled on the cobbler throughout the day and there was none left by the time we ate dinner. (What do you call a dessert that you eat before dinner?) Anyway, after dinner Frank went out to check on the "farm". He couldn't find the black rabbit anywhere. They decided to hop up the ladder into the chicken coop and have a sleepover with the chickens. I can't help but wonder what's next? A pig? A sheep? A cow? 

No comments:

Post a Comment